Friday, July 3, 2020 / by Teresa Ryan
Even if you have no immediate plans to buy or sell, we advise our clients to be thoughtful about the colors, materials, and finishes they select when planning a remodel or even redecorating. Choosing over-personalized or unpopular options could hurt a home’s value when it does come time to list your property. And selecting out-of-style or overly-trendy elements could cause your home to feel dated quickly.
To help, we’ve rounded up five of the hottest home design trends for 2020. Keep in mind, not all of these will work well in every house. If you plan to buy, list, or renovate your property, give us a call. We can help you realize your vision and maximize the impact of your investment.
1. IN: Sustainability / OUT: Fast Furniture
Consumers have become increasingly eco-conscious. Many are shunning the mass-produced, “fast furniture” popularized by retailers like IKEA, opting instead for higher-quality pieces that are built to last. And the availability of non-toxic, environmentally-friendly furniture, and decor options is set to grow in 2020 and beyond.
At the same time, there’s been a noticeable shift toward individuality in today’s interior design. Instead of following the latest fad, more homeowners are opting to embrace their personal style and invest in items they believe will “spark joy” (à la Marie Kondo) for years to come.
To incorporate this trend, designers recommend layering old and new pieces for a curated look that you can build over time. Instead of purchasing matching furniture set from a big-box retailer, buy one or two sustainably-sourced pieces that complement what you already own. Try searching for estate sales and Craigslist for vintage classics or well-built furniture that can be refinished. And to accessorize your room, mix sentimental items with newer finds to create a truly personalized space.
2. IN: Cozy / OUT: Cold
3. IN: Bold / OUT: Boring
DESIGNED TO SELL
Are you contemplating a remodel? Want to find out how upgrades could impact the value of your home? Buyer preferences vary greatly by neighborhood and price range. We can share our insights and offer tips on how to maximize the return on your investment. And if you’re in the market to sell, we can run a Comparative Market Analysis on your home to find out how it compares to others in the area. Contact us to schedule a free consultation!
Teresa Ryan 630-718-0424 630-276-7575http://bit.ly/RHGChannel
Join us on social:
1. Houzz - https://www.houzz.com/magazine/2020-us-houzz-kitchen-trends-study-stsetivw-vs~129594531
2. Terrapin Bright Green - https://www.terrapinbrightgreen.com/reports/14-patterns/
3. Remodeling Magazine - https://www.remodeling.hw.net/products/vinyl-ceramic-and-hardwood-oh-my-todays-popular-flooring-trends_o
4. Elle Decor - https://www.elledecor.com/design-decorate/trends/g29859422/design-trends-2020/?slide=1
5. Forbes - https://www.forbes.com/sites/amandalauren/2019/12/23/twelve-interior-design-trends-well-see-in-2020/#43f81f044a5f
6. Wall Street Journal - https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-top-6-interior-design-trends-for-2020-11577460357
7. Good Housekeeping - https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/decorating-ideas/g29849170/home-decor-trends-2020/
8. Architectural Digest - https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/top-design-trends-of-2020
9. Los Angeles Times - https://www.latimes.com/lifestyle/story/2020-01-11/2020-home-design-trends